1. If you were reviewing your own work, how would you describe its style or point of view?
In as few words as possible.
2. Who are some of your favorite contemporary authors?
Cormac McCarthy, Alice Munro, Don DeLillo, Denis Johnson, Marilynne Robinson, David Foster Wallace, Hilary Mantel, Thomas Pynchon, W.G. Sebald, whoever writes Kanye West’s tweets.
3. If you were told you couldn't write anymore, what job would you pursue and why?
Oh, probably a hand job (chuckles, shakes head, dies).
4. When you think of Austin, what comes to mind?
Richard Linklater’s Slacker came out when I was in middle school. I thought that was what grown-up life would be like. I was, alas, wrong.
5. Answer the question you wish we had asked.
I would prefer not to.