Texas Banned Books: Questions and Answers
Wed, September 24, 2014 • 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM • UFCU Room, PCL
Texas Banned Books:
Questions and Answers
Wednesday, September 24, 6-8pm
UFCU Room, PCL Library
What does “book banning” look like in 2014?
Maley Thompson, of UT's English Department, will moderate an interactive, roundtable discussion between five expert panelists:
- Terri Burke, executive director of the Texas ACLU
- Tony Diaz, book smuggler with Librotraficante, which brings contraband books back into Arizona
- Owen Egerton, screenwriter, novelist, local activist, and Master Pancake performer
- Dan Murphy, representative of the Inside Books Project, an organization that sends free books to prisoners in Texas
- Dr. Loriene Roy, UT School of Information/ Native American and Indigenous Studies, and former President of the American Library Association.
Audience members are invited to weigh in and share their burning questions about censorship at TXBBQ&A. There will be BBQ chips.